Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A toilet, plumber, and an ambulance

Did the title get your attention? It should have. If it is going to happen to me, then you know it is bizarre. This is a long story--so hang in there.

Last Saturday we had a freaky thing happen...a thing that I know could only be a God thing.

I called earlier in the week for a plumber to come check out our toilet. It was leaking from the base and Stewart had done everything he knew to do to possible heal this toilet of it's maladies. The plumber person was set to come this past Saturday. I had used this same service during my freaky gas leak back in October--so I completely trusted them.

He showed up--- a seemingly nice guy from Ernie's plumbing. He came in and looked at the toilet and told us that if it is this, it will cost this. If it is this, then it will cost $$$$$$$$. I nearly fainted. " To fix a toilet?" I said.

Now I know we have two toilets, but my favorite toilet was the one that needed the laying on of hands. Does anyone else have a favorite toilet?

We signed the paperwork to consent to have our toilet fixed. He said "I have to go pick up a part. I will be back in an hour, an hour and a half". This was straight up noon folks. Finally at three o'clock he comes back to do the deed. By the way, he had already removed the toilet and ran "water" over my bath mats. They now have a new home---Trash Can Manor.

When he came in I thought I smelled alcohol. But it wasn't strong. And I KNOW he smokes--whew--so I thought he was being courteous and swiggin' some mouthwash before coming back. He came in the door carrying three heavy machinery items. He was kind of swerving. I thought he was off balance because of the heavy equipment. He starts doing his thing. I could hear machinery in there whirring away. I tried my best to stay out of his way--so I left him alone. About 4:30 I went to run some errands.
I came back about 5:45. The whole time I was gone, I was really nervous. I called Stewart three times to ask.."How's it going? Anything else wrong yet?", etc. Stewart was firmly planted on the couch--growing roots miles deep and hadn't gone to check on him at all.

Here's the part...hang on....
I went to check on him and he was ASLEEP ( or so I thought) on our bedroom floor. I came back to the living room laughing so hard. A part of me thought...haha--funny. The other thought... HE IS DRUNK AND PASSED OUT ON MY BEDROOM FLOOR. I AM HOPPING MAD.

I was afraid to wake him not knowing him at all--scared whether he would be violent or not.
I called Ernie's plumbing service and talked to the woman---voicing my opinions. Did I mention he was snoring? She wanted Stewart to try to yell his name and wake him up. TRANSLATION: My manly man said "You are on the phone with her, you do it."

I yelled and hollered his name standing right over him. but nothing..no stirring at all. She wanted me to "kick him in the ribs and get him moving". I said NO WAY. I don't know anything about him.

Since we couldn't wake him, she had me call 911. Yep--pretty soon--a fire truck, ambulance, and police man came rolling up to our front door. The people wanted to know his medical history. I kept repeating. HE IS OUR PLUMBER. I DON"T HAVE A CLUE.

They finally roused him and he was totally incoherent--couldn't answer a sentence, didn't know where he was, etc.

They took him to the hospital. Turns out he had some sort of diabetic issue. A plumber came the next day and the company comped our cost. The man was still in the hospital as of Sunday.

I believe in my heart that this man did not know he was sick. God placed him where he needed to be to recieve optimal medical care ( and he wasn't driving) I also believe that God took care of our financial situation.
I am more and more conviced every day that I live, that God is in control. He is a mighty God, who loves, guides, protects, and treasures his people.
Thank you Lord for knowing my needs and meeting them. I pray for this man and his family.I pray that know you and you are with them.

I love you Lord.


post signature

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow! What an episode! I come from a long line of plumbers, so I can appreciate this. I know what you mean about having a favorite toilet. Ha ha! Never thought about that before!

Kim said...

You have mastered the art of finding diamonds in the rain! Thank you for being willing and able to see God's hand in such strange and uncomfortable circumstances.

What an encouragement.